Friday, August 30, 2013

Living on less than a dollar a day!

Well last week I thought I was going to receive a check, and I didn't.  Has anyone been there? If you have, you know it's not a fun experience.  Talk about no food in the fridge other than that little bag of spinach, a cucumber and some almond milk. My freezer had a banana and peach slices, made for some good green smoothies.  Did I mention my pantry had .... about a cup left of Amaranth.  Yes to say the least, my week was not the most food pleasing. 

However, I am able to eat more foods now than I was a year or two ago so I had the privilege to go out and eat with friends a couple nights.  Luckily for me, they decided it was on them.

Still not using a credit card! Woooo!

The great part about going out to eat is the leftovers, I always eat my left overs for lunch or dinner the next day.  Another great way to stock up on meals if you are low on cash and if you still live near home is asking for your parents leftovers.  Or if you aren't stubborn like me (I'm like a bull sometimes, no budging me) you can just ask for some help from parents and get groceries.  I hope you are able to do this. 

In the past week I have been looking up all sorts of diets for $1 a day.  I was just curious about if it is possible here in the U.S. I have a special place in my heart for those in third world countries who live on less than a dollar a day and then it occurred to me, there are probably many of us here in the U.S. that will end up living on a dollar a day due to our economy. 

No need to get all political, just something thought provoking for myself. 

Thus my adventures brought me to a couple people who chose to live on a dollar a day with healthy meals to see if it was possible.

This blogger ate on a dollar a day for a month and lost pounds while at it-


http://mydollaradaychallenge.blogspot.com/

Andrew Hyde has quite a few great ideas, I just modified some of his suggestions for AntiCandida-

http://andrewhy.de/how-to-live-comfortably-on-36-a-month-for-food/

Here's an article on a blogger who "Ate well on just $1 A day"

http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/articles/eating-well-on-1-a-day/

Stone Soup has some budget friendly and healthy meals -

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2012/08/is-this-the-worlds-easiest-shopping-list/#

Have a happy day and I'd invite you to try out one of these challenges if you ever find yourself living on a dollar a day.  Feel free to share your thoughts on a blog or with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment